You are here: Home / Meeting Minutes / 2013 Minutes / May 17, 2013

May 17, 2013

Present: Phil Bisesi, Dr. Terry Clark, Dr. Stan Dienst, Beth Gilman, Steve Gilman, Bob Howarth, Dr. Lew Patrie, Mary Olson, Dr Don Richardson

Lunch and refreshments began at 12 noon, and the business meeting began at 12:30 PM.

KEY BUSINESS:


1. The minutes for the WNC/PSR April 19, 2013 meeting were posted on our website as final before the meeting and everyone was given the opportunity to comment. There was consensus to move forward to other business without further comment.

2. Terry reported that our chapter balance as of 5/14 is $1,548.01. Since our last (April 2013) chapter meeting, Steve was reimbursed for one half of his trip expenses, $267.15, for the PSR National Board of Directors three day conference. Also, Terry received a chapter grant ($750) as well as dues sharing ($241.10) from PDR National. Following this meeting Terry confirmed our chapter will be provided another disbursement in the 2nd half of 2013.    

3. Mary informed us of items on NIRS.ORG relating to transportation of nuclear waste, BRC actions, Dept of Energy conclusions, nuclear waste central storage information and encouraged us all to sign up on that website for NIRS alerts. Also, Terry and Mary plan to collaborate on possible op-ed drafts.

4. Terry developed consensus that our recognition luncheon will now be a picnic at noon on Sat., June 15 at Terry and Brita’s home. Everyone at this meeting, their spouses, and others that Terry invites should RSVP to Terry their plans to attend.    

5. Following this meeting it was decided to cancel our June chapter meeting planned for Fri. June 21. Our next chapter business meeting will be on Fri. July 21.

6. Terry would like to hear from active WNC/PSR participants interested in knowing more about becoming our chapter treasurer. Recently, we accepted John Joyner’s resignation as chapter treasurer due to personal and family matters. At present, Terry is both our chapter chair and acting treasurer. Steve is our chapter secretary. We have one calendar year terms for each of our three chapter elected offices.

7. Bob distributed contact information of those representing us in both state and federal government. In addition Bob provided the committees they serve on. This information should be helpful for our lobbying efforts.

8. There was discussion regarding contacting both our state and federal legislators to discuss matters important to us. It was decided that we need to continue this discussion at a future meeting. Bob offered to draft a contact list for contacting legislators.

9. A NC judge ruled in favor of having more hearings regarding the NC Utilities Commission proposed rate hikes, and Mary offered to circulate additional information on this matter. Lew and Phil expressed interest in speaking on behalf of WNC/PSR at NC Utility Commission hearing in Marion May 22 and plan to provide details at our next monthly meeting (Friday, July 19).

10. Our chapter endorsed the resolution distributed at this meeting opposing the transportation of radioactive liquid waste from Ontario to the Savannah River Site.

11. Lew and Bob participated in an Oak Ridge, TN, protest highlighting the upcoming trial of 82 year old Megan Rice and 2 others for trespassing on the Oak Ridge nuclear weapons facility last summer. Before his trip to PSR national in DC, Steve was in touch with both Megan and one of her lawyers. Steve arranged a meeting with both the PSR nuclear weapons committee chair and Dr. Ira Helfand and got their support to involve PSR national in this trial. Steve followed up with a biographical sketch of Dr. Helfand, a YouTube presentation, and additional reasons why Dr. Helfand would be a competent choice from PSR as an expert witness on Megan’s behalf. Steve got Dr. Helfand and the lead lawyer together, and all parties agreed that having Dr. Helfand testify as a key expert is exactly what the defense team was looking for. Additional details will be forthcoming at the May chapter meeting.    

12. If our chapter wants to reserve a booth in the Southern Green Living Expo Oct. 4-6, we need to do so by June 30 to get a discount.

13. A sub-committee of Terry, Steve, Stan and Bob has made progress regarding potential proposals for formalizing a chapter sterring committee, however, more discussion is needed before presenting a proposal.

14. It was agreed by consensus to post our Chapter's position paper Corporate Funding of Elections on our WNCPSR.org website.  Bob will email this to Stan for posting.

Next meeting: 12:00 pm Friday, July 19, 2013 at the home of Steve and Beth Gilman (18 Birchwood Lane, Asheville).

Submitted by Steve Gilman, WNC/PSR chapter secretary

Upcoming Events
The Season of Peace Party Dec 14, 2017 05:00 PM - 08:00 PM — 1st Congregational Church of Christ
January 2018 Meeting Jan 19, 2018 12:00 PM - 02:00 PM — First Congregational United Church of Christ
Upcoming events…